7.05.2009

Slow Cooked Brisket part 3...


Well, this has certainly been a tasty experience of determined documentary work. I have come to the conclusion that the combination of the processes and bringing the two principals together as a whole was the best of both worlds. By brining the brisket for 24 hours(cider, cider vinegar, salt, sugar, honey, spices, aromats, chilies, evoo) and then marinating for 24 hours(chili powder, coffee, chipotle, garlic, savory herbs, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika) we were able to achieve a much broader spectrum of flavors and one that holds up well in the long and slow cooking process. Although I was intrigued by the concept of a 24-hour roast, as one might do with a braise in low temperatures, I found that the meat tended to lose a bit of goodness and flavor. It lacked that luscious mouthfeel. Perhaps I was trying to push something a bit too hard through a hole that was not meant to be. By toning down the cooking time and limiting that to 16 hours, I found that we were able to maximize the flavor, the tenderness was out of control and that "melt-in-your-mouth" experience was phenomenal. The crust on the exterior was intoxicating. And this was even when tasted cold! When just placed on the plancha for a spell, the flavors and textures as well as moisture came alive. What a rush this was to experience. As you can see by the photos, the meat still maintains the wonderful rosy color due to the low temperature to lock in the juices since the cell walls were not subjected to harmful heat elements. We are serving this as a summer sandwich layered with crispy buttermilk onion rings, onion jam, chipotle aioli and stacked on a ciabatta bun. A cool crisp slaw of carrots, pears, cabbage, mint mayo and we are good to go. What's next....who knows?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Price said...

Happened across your blog while searching for slow cooking a brisket, and just finished reading slow cooked brisket, parts I, II & III. I think I won't do the 24 hour brining, as I start with kosher meat and although it hasn't been spiced, it's been salt soaked already as part of the koshering process. But the rest of it, I will rely on. I want to thank you for taking the trouble to document not only your experience, but your thought process and reasoning as well. I'm no professional chef. I'm just a woman who, if I'm going to go to the trouble, wants a delicious outcome.

6:35:00 PM  
Blogger cuisinier said...

Hi Sandy, thank you for your comment. First of all, let me comment on your thoughts...the brining is more to allow for salt penetration to the meat and to break down the cell structure a bit, yet allowing for a more moist product and higher water content to the cell. It also imparts other flavor profiles as well to the cut as a whole. One could omit salt if they so desire, yet still brine the meat. If it is salt soaked ahead of time, you are good. Maybe, you could even inquire as to whether or not they(kosher folks) could add some spices when they are at it via your coice. They too could be kosher herbs/aromats and spices??? You are very welcome for the process documented. I enjoy creating opportunities for others to grow and learn from. For the home enthusiast/cook, I will say that although it seems like a lot of effort, it is quite simple if you have the environment to cook in that heat degree and space and time. I hope you enjoy the process as much as I did.

6:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home