5.11.2009

A Play on Modern Mexican...



Enter Cinco de Mayo...yes, it is over. Long gone as it were. Past forgotten but a memory. A taste of what was and what could be. In short, it was fun, exciting and an experience. The flavors of traditional Mexican cooking is one of warmth and beauty. It has soul and body. Sexy to say the least. That is what I love about it. I could eat it every day, or so I believe. I never get tired of the flavors and boldness of the spice used in their cooking. So...when given half a chance, I use my own experience, skill, craft and love of cooking to create my sense of the modern approach to that culture. I am not traditional nor true to form, yet honest and passionate. I do not claim to be authentic by any means, nor do I want to be. I try my damnedest to give it heart and if nothing else at all, great flavor. That is paramount to our success as cooks. This was my attempt at modern Mexican. Sorry amigos if it is not to your standards, but this gringo played his own gig!
~Amuse~
Frozen Spicy Avocado Lollipops
dipped in Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt
"Tortilla Soup"
Sea Scallop Ceviche, Shrimp a'la Plancha, Jicama-Red Onion Salad, Avocado Oil
Cucumber Gelee,Tomato Powder
and a Rich Tortilla-Cilantro Broth poured Tableside

Halibut Cheeks Sous Vide
Braised Pork Shoulder, Rice Bean-Tomatillo-King Trumpet-Pigs Feet Sauce
Scallion Coulis, Chorizo Dust

Beef Cheeks "Mole"
Banana-Poblano Empanada, Cotija, Yucca Puree, Cilantro Steeped Hominy
Mango Salsa, Smoked Peanut Crumble and Ancho Oil

Cinnamon Bunelos & "Chocolate a'la Taza"

Preserved Cherries, Claudio 70% "Gravel", Dulce de Leche Ice Cream,

Coffee Shortbread, Cherry Jus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home