2.02.2010

An Amazing Meal...

This post will perhaps leave some baffled or complexed as to the reasoning of it's nature. I am am writing about one of the best meals in my career. Not one of high refinement. Not one that cost several hundred dollars each. And certainly not one in which one needed to wait all day long for a reservation only to get shunned away only to try again next year. No, this meal was one that touched the soul. It made me think. Think about life and the pursuit of happiness. It made me think about what is important and why I am in this crazy f*ed up business and why I do what I do. To make others happy and experience that sense of fulfillment and nourishment. To bring forth the meaning of hospitality towards others. A couple nights ago, I experienced one of the most amazing meals of my career! My son's and I had just went to see a movie and as such, we opted to stop in for a bite at...hold your breath...the Olive Garden. The two twenty-somethings at the host stand were happy and greeted us in a nice manner with plenty of hospitality and warmth, not something you witness every day at even the better of the restaurants around. We were sat and quickly met by our server. We actually enjoyed the service quite well throughout the evening. The food was as one would expect, (for any of us that have ever been to such an establishment)...simple...predictable...very edible and surprisingly quite flavorful. However, this is not the real focus of the story mind you. Well, in truth somewhat, as it is THE meal I am speaking about. What I am babbling on about is that the meal~ a chicken breast labeled as a parmigiana with spaghetti noodles tossed with a marinara sauce and grated Parmesan cheese~ not bad, but it was not eaten that evening and wrapped up to take home. What happened next is what the point is. There always seems to be a homeless woman every time I drive by, standing right on the corner where a particular off-ramp and the freeway intersect when entering into West Seattle and tonight did not disappoint. There she was, hovering over a sign she made referring to something about Jesus and food, and not necessarily in that order. She almost seemed in a daze, but perhaps it was the lack of sleep as it was nearing midnight. Strange she was still there. Most street folk are long gone by 9pm as traffic dwindles long before then. Not this die hard trooper. There she was...hard at work looking for money, food, support, a blanket, or perhaps some much needed words of encouragement. We came to a complete halt as we pulled my SUV over to the side. We rolled our windows down and shared some small cordial talk and then my youngest son reached out the window and handed her the "doggy box" of chicken parmigiana and spaghetti. The look in her eyes and the smile on her face told it all. She was so grateful. It was truly a memorable moment for me. There is not many other more pleasing feelings personally than to help somebody in more need than you. It reminded me of my childhood, tagging along with my mother helping others and one that I hope will stay with my boys for years to come. To help others is a gift that we all need to share in. God bless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

chef that is a amazing experience!!! but than it also shows that u and ur wife have done a great job raising ur kids!!!
compliments!!!

12:42:00 PM  
Blogger cuisinier said...

we try...

10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home