5.12.2007

A Menu for a Friend...

Jason Wilson...the owner and well known chef(Food & Wine Best Chef 2006) of the "extremely popular for the hipster crowd" eatery~ CRUSH in Seattle, got a tre-cool surprise, masterminded by his lovely bride; Nicole, in celebration of his 30-something birthday at the end of last month. Jason and I seem to share in our birthday celebrations as I totally enjoy going to Crush for mine! I had the great excitement and completely surprised privilege to celebrate my 40th there! Awesome is the only close word that describes it. I enjoy cooking for Jason and Nicole, as I do for many great chefs. It is a privilege and an honor. In my humbleness of culinary life, it is times like this that make me feel good about what I do. If in some small minuscule way, a certain nuance of my craft rubs off on someone like Jason, which inspires them to perform in shades of greatness and they become a better cuisinier, then I have done my part. In short, if it even makes them think and contemplate cooking as a whole and perhaps provokes a thought about self-betterment, then, and only then, can I feel complete with my own self. Sure, I can make a good sauce or piece of fish, soup or dessert, but I have always felt that the true test lies in how one can inspire, coach, mentor and get others to push the boundaries is the real test. I am only too fortunate to have this great chef as friend! Thanks Jason and Nicole for being you. So... as a tribute to you both and your special birthday, here is the menu...
Salmon Candy Ice Cream, Shiitake Dust, Trout Roe
*
Maine Lobster Omelet, Ugli Fruit, American Sturgeon Caviar, Tomato-Chili Meringue
*
Hot & Cold Foie Gras...
Chilled Torchon, Pickled Ramps, Truffled Apricot Conserves, 50 year Balsamic
Seared Pave, Rhubarb Emince, Rhubarb Gastrique, Sabre Crumble, Onion Jus
*
White Asparagus Salad, Morels, Asparagus Custard, Truffle Oil
House Cured Duck Prosciutto and PX Reduction
*
Grilled Hawaiian Swordfish, Peas, Abalone Mushrooms, Lentil-Bacon Salpicon
Bottarga and Sorrel Milk
*
Rhubarb-Rose Gelee, Yogurt Foam, Apple, Nigella
*
Roasted Saddle of Rabbit
Mostarda, Fava Beans, Corn-Garlic Nage, Kidneys, Pine Nut Oil Emulsion
*
Seared Squab & Sauteed Scallop "Club Sandwich"
Demi Carrots, Ramp Greens, Smoked Valrhona Essence
*
Ahi Tuna & Foie Gras "Lollipop", Crispy Shallots, Root Beer Syrup and Pistachio Oil
*
"Spring Flavors"
White Asparagus Ice Cream, Olive Oil Gelato and Meyer Lemoncello
*
Jasper Hills Constant Bliss, Plums, Walnuts, Verjus-Blackberry Honey "Caramel"
*
"White Gazpacho"
Pedro Ximenez Ice, Melted Grapes, Marcona Almond Brulee, Shaved Toast
and Smoked Paprika Syrup
*
Pineapple Cups, Brazil Nut Sponge, Caramel, White Chocolate
*
Praline Chocolate Silk, Salted Chocolate Caramel, Malted Milk Chocolate Shake
*
Special Chocolates from France
When it was all said and done...it was definitely worth taking your shirt off for! ...inside joke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home