11.25.2006

A Dinner of Thankful Moments...

What is Thanksgiving? For some, it is a time of remembrance, a moment of gratefulness, a place of trust and honesty put into motion from the generations before us. A time-honored celebration of feast and family, brought together with joy and visions of "little johnny" stuffing his face with mashers and pumpkin pie! Whatever the case, it is a holiday none-the-less. One that warrants the respect of the past, the good (or not) fortune of the present and the hope of prosperity of what lies ahead. For me, it has always been about the feast. The memories of my grandmother cooking turkey, with me by her side rolling cookie dough, covered in flour and sugar and totally submersed in the moment. My divorced mom and dad arguing over child support, or some damn thing, doused in their favorite libation. The aromas of stuffing being baked as well as the pumpkin pie wafting around the kitchen of our small, humble abode on Puget Sound. Throughout my childhood, it was always fun, that is until the arguing started in. Good times. As I became older, I indulged and became engulfed in the production. It became exciting as well as spiritual. Now, as I have grown older and full-on in my career of this craziness, it still brings a sparkle of warmth. A time to share, with those whom I hold dear...my family. The schedule is hectic and the time to cook the feast has usually been evaporated by this time, as I am usually cooking for the masses at the club, yet, I still find that fire to create tasty food at home for my boys, who will hopefully someday remember these times as ones they care to share with their families, long after I am gone. As I mentioned, it is all about the feast! Each year, the nuances and inner-most cravings of rich, warm dishes cooked up with heart-felt passions and seasonal ingredients become the norm. They take over like clockwork. It is quite extraordinary how one moment, you can be cooking heirloom tomatoes and summer fruits, and the next, you are right in the middle of savory squash spoonbread and roasted parsnip bisque! Where does that come from? It is the time spent developing and honing one's craft in the locale in which you reside. For me, it is the NW. Fall and autumn are plentiful with ingredients like that of the native Americans ancestry living off the land. Our local farms bring us many good things. It is this space that brings me to a place which promotes and fosters these instincts of thankful moments. Wholesome. Enriching. Completeness. Warmth. Security. Memorable. Just a few thoughts that come to mind when I cook. Considering a homeless alternative...it's a no-brainer! Thankful, you better believe it! Below are excerpts from the dinner...
Roasted Parsnip-Apple Bisque
with Gingerbread Croutons and Nutmeg Creme Fraiche
Curried Chickpea Salad
crispy Pork Belly, Cauliflower and Caramelized Pears
Beet and Apple Salad
with Roquefort, Endive and Walnuts
Cranberry-Pistachio Chutney
Mapled Yams with Brown sugar Streusel
Holiday "Mac & Cheese"
with Pumpkin and Mascarpone
Cider Glazed Free Range Turkey
Savory Stuffing with Figs and Sage
Chipotle & Citrus laced Prawns
Wild Turkey-Pecan Gravy
and of course...
Sugar Pie Pumpkin Pie
with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Caramelized Apple Pie
with Currants, Orange Notes and Cocoa-Hazelnut Crust
Peanut Butter-Milk Chocolate Bites
Richly Flavored Cookies and Bars
Maple-Pecan Ice Cream
Until xmas...enjoy the moment!
Cuisinier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home