8.16.2007

What the Summer has in Store...



In the Northwest, specifically, Seattle and it's outlying areas, (amongst a few others of course...Oregon, Idaho, British Columbia etc) we are so very fortunate to have ready at our fingertips, by way of our trusty foragers, a plethora of funghi! This time of year brings us some of the nations best, if not the world! Bright, gleaming and beautiful Yellow Chanterelles, complete in all their glory, just ready for the saute pan, or grill, or marinade, or...whatever! They are probably one of my, if not THE favorite of mushrooms. I truly enjoy morels as well. Nice and dry, no worms and smokey. God I love this shit. Matsutakes...now there is one that blows me away. They are down right awesome. So clean and piney. Where does one start? Truffles go without saying. Cepes-Porcini-Boletus...they rock. They take on such a wealth of robustness, especially when roasted. I really love just about all of them. I always have. From button domestics simply sauteed in butter and paprika, cooked graciously and gently by my great, late mum, to the illegally foraged and consumed psilocybin that I used to hunt in my late teens to my first truffle and morel in cooking school and a very old French style restaurant, now defunct called appropriately...Morilles! Now we must not forget the Lobster mushrooms. Rich red in color, with hints and wisps of rust. Meaty and hearty when sauteed, which brings out a almost poultry-esqueness (I was NOT going to say it tasted like chicken!) that melds well with many a different foodstuff. Tonight we used them on a a dish with Coffee Crusted Bison Loin, Truffled Potatoes, Caramelized Walla Walla Onions and a sauce of Wild Blackberry Gastric infused Veal Jus, enriched with pepper. Another dish they ended up on, which worked quite well was a vegetarian composure of golden Polenta "Fries", Wilted Beet Greens, Ratatouille, Lobster and Chanterelle Mushrooms and two oils...Balsamic Infused and Black Olive Infused. The next couple days will surely provide a foil for these beauties. I can not wait.



4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Walsh said...

Awsome looking mushrooms, you are a lucky man.

At the local farmers markets here in northeastern Ohio we have quite a few mushroom growers, oysters in different colors, beautiful shitakes, and a few others.

On the other had these foreged mushrooms are a special treat, they don't really compare.

I'm a big fan of the Lobster Mushroom, the texture after it is cooked is unique to most other mushrooms. Good luck with the bounty

10:59:00 AM  
Blogger cuisinier said...

thanks michael. I know that residing in the Northwest, I am truly spoiled. Maybe only on the Riviera in Provence could I be better off. Or Italy's Tuscany...or perhaps La Jolla, or San Francisco...or wait...NYC? I figure, whereever you are is where it is best. If it is not, then you will move and make the new place that ideal place. Each is so different and have much to offer. Until then...i will keep looking for more chanterelles! Best...Bill

11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Cusinier. My name is Michael Chansavang with Northwest Greenery and Mushrooms; a business I recently started in Tacoma. I am a wholsale supplier of mushrooms including, lobster, chantrelles, and matsutake. I also sell huckleberries and other Northwest greenery. I do most of my own picking fresh from the mountains. If you, or anyone else you know, are interested in looking into some of the mushrooms please contact me at 253-961-3812 or email mchansavang07@gmail.com. I look forward to doing business with you. Thank you.

12:18:00 PM  
Blogger cuisinier said...

hi Michael C....thanks for the comment. We are always using many different mushrooms. I do have a couple of very reliable and long standing relationships with local pickers, but I am also interested in checking what you have out. I will contact you and set up a time to chat. I would also like to see the products you carry. Are you currently selling to anyone in the city of Seattle now?

11:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home